Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Spaghetti Sandwiches

I love it when an impromptu meal turns out to be a yummy creation. Meatball subs were on the menu this week, but I forgot to purchase meatballs and I forgot to take the hamburger out of the freezer to thaw so I could make my own. With lunch quickly approaching, I wondered why I couldn't just use the ground beef. Enter the spaghetti sandwich. With this little baby now in the menu rotation, meatball subs will be kicked to the curb.
Spaghetti Sandwiches

1.5 pounds ground beef
1 1/2 C chopped mushrooms
1/2 small onion, diced
4 C your favorite spaghetti sauce
6 French rolls
1/2 C cheddar, mozzarella, and Parmesan blend

Brown hamburger, add in onions and mushrooms and sauté until tender. Pour in sauce and heat through.

Cut the French rolls in half and hallow out the middle. Place them on a Silpat. Fill the wells with the meat mixture and sprinkle with cheese blend. Bake at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes.

The great thing about using the Silpat is that the outside of the bread will get crispy, while the inside stays moist. Close them up, cut them in half, and serve them up with a salad for a complete meal.
Give them a try! I think next time I'm going to add some shredded carrots and diced zucchini into the meat sauce for an extra dose of veggies.
P.S. Don't you think we can count these as low carb since the meal isn't made of pasta AND bread? Oh, and don't forget we hallowed out the French roll. For now, I'm going to pretend they are low carb.

No comments: