Friday, February 3, 2012

Power Bars

I've been on the hunt for recipes that are healthy and will be a great snack for when I return from a run. I think I found it! Well, I found one that looked good and then of course, I adapted it because that's just what I do. And the great thing is that you can adapt it too. Just keep the wet to dry ration about the same and you'll be golden.

These bars are chewy and have just the right amount of sweetness.
They fit perfectly in the checkerboard mold, which means you'll have 16 equal portions after these beauties have cooled.
Power Bars

1 C oats
1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C *cereal
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbl flax meal
1/4 C sunflower seeds
1/4 C *pecans, chopped
1/2 C dried fruit
3 tbl coconut oil, melted
1/4 C honey
1/3 C applesauce
1 egg, beaten

Combine oats, whole wheat flour, cereal, cinnamon, flax meal, sunflower seeds, and dried fruit.
Add in the beaten egg, honey, coconut oil, applesauce, and honey.
Mix and pour into the checkerboard mold and pat the mixture down.
Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes.
Let cool before cutting.

*You can use a variety of different cereals. I used a flax pumpkin granola. Grape nuts or other favorite cereal would work too. Also, feel free to swap out the pecans and use walnuts, peanuts, or your favorite kind. I opted for dried cranberries, but might try cherries or blueberries in the future.

Pack these in sandwich baggies and have them ready. They make the perfect treat and are a great energy booster after a run or when you're on the go.
These bars are sweet enough, but I might try adding in some chopped dark chocolate next time to help me stay away from other cookies.
Enjoy!

No comments: