Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pumpkin Roll

It's that time of year. It's been that time of year in my house for about 2 months now. I'm talking about the time of year when everything pumpkin is baked and devoured. Pumpkin pie bars, pumpkin scones, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin mousse, pumpkin coffee cake, pumpkin.... you catch my drift. And now, with Thanksgiving just two days away, enter the pumpkin roll! Meet my friend the Deep Flexipat. Last year I sold several pumpkin rolls. I love to bake but didn't love the towel and powdered sugar mess. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

In a mixing bowl combine:

1 C pumpkin puree
3 eggs
1 tsp lemon juice
3/4 C flour
1 C sugar
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
Pour the ingredients into your deep flexipat on a perforated baking sheet. Bake for 13 minutes.
Deep Flexipat meet your friend Mr. Silpat.
Place Mr. Silpat on top of the pumpkin roll once it has come out of the oven.
Flip the roll over onto Mr. Silpat.
Remove the Deep Flexipat.
Go ahead! Don't be nervous.
You can stop for a second here and be amazed at how easy this came out of the Felxipat. No wax paper, no parchment paper, no baking spray, no grease.
Roll up Mr. Silpat with the pumpkin roll and place it in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes to slightly cool.
While your roll is cooling mix up a batch of cream cheese frosting. In a stand mixer combine:
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
1/4 C butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1 C powdered sugar
Once the roll has cooled remove it from the fridge and unroll it. Slather on a generous helping of that delicious cream cheese frosting you made. Roll that bad boy back up.
I know I said I didn't need powdered sugar, but this one is going to a customer, so I sprinkled some powdered sugar onto a piece of foil for transporting. Easy.
What do you think? Go ahead. Try it out!