Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Blackberry and Blueberry Pie

We have overgrown blackberry bushes in our backyard. That coupled with my husband's desire for pie and a large bag of frozen blueberries in my freezer made for an easy choice. Enter Blackberry and Blueberry Pie.

Who says that you have to use a pie plate to make pie? Not me! I opted for to use the flower mold, which worked perfectly. The thing I love about this mold is that you can cut an X and have 4 heart-shaped pieces. Berry cute!
In a bowl combine:

3/4 C sugar
1/3 C flour
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
5 1/2 C of berries
(I used about 4 cups of blackberries and 1 1/2 of blue, some frozen, some not)

Place berry mixture into your favorite pie crust, add the top crust or lattice work.
Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 425 degrees for about 35-45 minutes
(depending on if you used frozen berries)

Cool before serving


The only thing that would have made this pie better....vanilla ice cream! So much for thinking ahead.
Of course, clean-up was a cinch! No scrubbing berry baked goodness or letting a pie plate soak in my sink.

No comments: